Anyone who has been in a group instance or raid probably has a story (or five) about loot gone bad: loot you missed out on, loot the raid leader ninja’d, loot you really, really, really wanted but someone “accidentally” rolled on even though it wasn’t for their class and is bind on acquire, and so on.
This happened to me last night and the wound is still raw, so I thought I’d come to CSTM to share my pain as well as give CSTM readers some solace in that whatever has happened to them, it’s happened to others as well. Feel free to share your own stories in the comments below.
Last night, I was in a group running Siege of Gondamon as a level 85 skirm-raid with 8 kinmates and 4 people the leader PUG’d. At the end of it, we get a Tarnished Symbol of Celebrimbabbillybobwhateverthehellhisnameisbor.1
We roll, and the random number generates a 93.
Ha, take that suckers!2
I had a good feeling about this . . . at least until one of my kinmates in the raid also came up with a 93. We’re the high two, so we do a /roll off.
You can probably guess what I /roll on the second try, right?
FYI: The other guy rolled a 63.
I roll and the random number generator decides to show its true colours and kick me right in the jimmy: 8.
It would have been my preference to get the 8 on the first roll rather than the second.3 At least then, the random number generator wouldn’t have gotten my hopes up only to crush them like a two year-old taking apart a tower of Lego Duplos.4
It’s like in college when you go out with that hawt girl from Econ 2204 and the first date goes really well, but the next time you go out, right when you’re about to make your move and slide into second base, she tells you that she’s thinking about getting back together with her old boyfriend.
So you slink back to your dorm room/apartment and have a “no pride” night that starts with a bottle of Southern Comfort and ends with you waking up in Tijuana naked next to a half-empty quart of 5W-30 motor oil, a box of BBs and a one-legged Bolivian midget.5
At least a kinmate got the Symbol, not some schlep we PUG’d from GLFF.
So that’s just the latest time the random number generator has ripped the (virtual) heart from my (virtual) chest and stomped on it in front of me. If you have your own story, please share it here, and know that whatever has happened to you, there is someone else out there who has a sorrier tale than you.
- I really, really, really wanted the Tarnished Symbol, because I’d like a shiny, new level 85 Second Age LI, but I’m not lucky like one of my kinmates who got two in two days from killing Bugud. On the bright side, I have enough banners and pennants from killing Bugud to fill my personal house, a kin house and clothe half of Bree. ↩
- To truly appreciate this, you should understand my troubled history with the /roll function. One week, I ran Draigoch on 3 of my 75s and my rolls for the scales were 2, 1, and 7. It also likes to generate numbers like 88 or 93, but only when the winning roll is 89 or 94. ↩
- I have also recently lost a fantasy football matchup by 0.26 points, which the way this league scores, is one person running or receiving for 3 yards or passing for 6. I would rather get blown out by 50 points than lose by 0.26. ↩
- I swear to god I could hear it laughing at me! ↩
- What? That’s never happened to you? ↩