I thought I’d take a break from the previous Help the Hobbit themed articles talking about class legacies (don’t worry, we’ll return to them soon enough) and talk about something completely different: roleplaying.
Now roleplaying isn’t something that I have had much experience with in computer games and subsequently I stink at it. (Goldenstar however is much better at it than I am.) I don’t know if it’s my unfamiliarity of the whole thing, bad experiences that I’ve had in the past, or if it’s the computer game medium as a whole that removes the confidence I usually have in tabletop gaming. But for whatever reasons I’ve had little success with what I would consider “successful” roleplaying sessions in my MMO career.
However, I also know that we have a number of readers who are passionate about roleplaying in-game that would be willing to provide guidance on this vast topic.
This Week’s Topic
This week’s topic is: How do you start roleplaying?
Obviously there are a lot of aspects to this question, such as:
- How to become comfortable with the aspect of roleplaying, specifically in a computer game.
- Some of the ways ways to ease yourself into the roleplaying events on a server.
- How you recover when you make a mistake or a faux pas.
- What to do when you have a negative experience such as someone telling you you’re “doing it wrong”, someone making fun of you, or someone just being a jerk.
- How to identify yourself as someone who wants to roleplay.
I’m sure that there are a lot of other aspects of roleplaying that I don’t have listed here since it is a wide and varied activity that I’m asking about. I’m used to being the wallflower who sits idly by trying not to disrupt what’s going on. So I need your help and guidance to show me what I can do to stop being just a lurker and be a participant!