I’ve been thinking lately on whether LOTRO needs a “Raid Finder” or not.
You see, I’ve recently discovered just how great Skirmish Raids can be to kill time and to get some nice rewards. I’ve also come to realize that while my kinship may not always have time, I wouldn’t mind participating in a Draigoch raid before the lock is reset. In fact, there are a couple of nice pieces that I wouldn’t mind having for my main (a Guardian) in both of these scenarios.
The problem is, that I usually miss out on people advertising in the GLFF (Global Looking For Fellowship) chat room when they first start up the group, and by the time that I notice they’re usually full up on tanks or unwilling to accept a Guardian in Overpower (and yes, the latter is bit of a perception problem in my opinion).
While I could go about solving my problem by starting my own groups, I’m not yet comfortable enough with myself in raid situations to put myself in that role. So, what I’d really like to do is to be able to throw myself into a queue and just go about my business, much like I can do with the “Instance Finder”. That way I could go about doing quests or whatever else I’d like, and when the raid is ready I could hop on in.
But while it’s simple to request a feature, it’s hard to comprehend sometimes what implementing that feature really means to the player-base and the game. I’ve been trying to think of what issues could arise from implementing a Raid Finder and I find myself asking the following questions about the system:
- How would leader be determined?
- How would loot be determined?
- Would there be a bonus to health and marks similar to the Instance Finder?
- Would there be a way to make sure that a character is actually geared for a particular higher-end raid?
- Could you vote to kick someone out of the raid?
- How do you prevent people from rolling on things their class/role cannot use?
- Would we have to wait for cross-server instance capabilities to really get full use out of a Raid Finder?
Even though it makes me nervous to read about some of the complications that World of WarCraft has undergone with their implementation I still think that it’s a better solution than to wait in-game and watching chat for someone to start up a raid; especially when it comes to some of the more “relaxed” Skirmish Raids. I also think that this feature would have a good possibility of opening up the raid content to a lot of players who may think themselves too busy or too isolated to participate in this kind of content.
So as I dwelled upon this more and more I thought that this kind of theoretical debate would be perfect for our CSTM readers and so I bring these questions to you now:
- What do you think about LOTRO implementing a Raid Finder?
- If Turbine was to implement a Raid Finder what features do you think it must have?
- And finally, what issues must it be able to resolve?